Sunday, November 16, 2014

An ode to relationships -

Feeling nostalgic about relationships today - and as I'm writing a new book about the older/younger dating dynamic - this  came to me...

Sink or swim.

I'm looking for someone to explore the river of life with me. Hold hands and jump in, see where it takes us. I've been waiting on dry-land for a while now.

If life was a day on this river, I have dreams of jumping in a raft to see where we go together. Maybe we could jump straight In. No raft necessary -
I've always known I was a good swimmer.

But you're hesitant, and tell me you're afraid of the water.

I tell you you can do it, that there is nothing to fear. That the fear is only in our minds.

As I wait for you to see if you're ready to take a closer look, I turn, and you are running to jump in.

And I'm still standing on the shore as you float away. You only see me from a distance, or during a break in the waves. And I watch you live. Floating away - smiling.

I'm just standing on the bank - waving. Waiting to see if I can catch another glimpse of you before you're out of sight.

I just wanted to swim or float or sink...along with someone. And I'm still on the shore.

#novellines #matthewalan #love #learning

No comments:

Post a Comment